Fanfickk was born in Germany, raised in New Zealand, and now lives in Melbourne, Australia. World famous in her own house, she writes, sings, and produces in her bedroom closet under the watchful eye of Dumpling the cat.
In 2016, Fanfickk released her first EP, Stay Shy. The EP contained the song Shreds, which was described by music blog The Revue as “a shimmering electropop track that has a touch of Grimes, a dash of Goldfrapp, a sprinkle of Zola Jesus, and a whole lot of Kiwi spirit”. She followed up the EP with a bunch of singles spanning different genres, including the sugary electropop Cotton Candy (2018), and the riot grrrl-esque Pity Party (2019).
Fanfickk released her second EP, Skull Pocket, at the end of 2019. This mostly instrumental EP featured the single Pure—a slimy, industrial pop track. This release marked the first time Fanfickk ventured outside of her bedroom to record, with Corey Friedlander (8 Foot Sativa, City of Souls) laying down the drum track for Pure at a proper recording studio.
Like everyone else, Fanfickk made big plans for 2020, and none came to fruition. 2021 will hopefully bring new releases, videos, and collaborations.
- Cotton Candy getting playlisted on Spotify New Music Friday in Germany and Switzerland
- Cotton Candy almost entering the official NZ charts (so close)
- Solitude, a collaboration with Hybrid Rose, spending 3 weeks at #1 on the New Zealand SRN charts, then one extra week in the top 5
- Solitude reaching number 14 on the iTunes alt charts in Norway (no idea how this happened)
- Skull Pocket EP entering the US College Radio Charts (at number 600-something, but it still counts!)
- Crippling depression (see: Pity Party)
- Major label interest and then rejection
- Rejection from hundreds of music blogs and radio stations
- Talking to marketing people
Other fun facts about Fanfickk:
- She is trilingual: English, German, and Menu-Spanish (may or may not be a real language)
- “Fanfickk” is a play on the words “fanfic”, a family name, and some swear words in German and Swedish